22 Dec 2018-3:00 pm
Half Time: 0-0
Cambridge City
1 : 1
Bromsgrove Sporting
Full Time
A. Humphries (Daventry)
Cambridge City
Bromsgrove Sporting
Substitute 46'
In:Isaac Maynard
Out:Ryan Sharman
Goal 1:0 54'
Adam Watkins
Substitute 60'
In:Adam Capel
Out:Isaac Maynard
64' Substitute
In:Ashanti Pryce
Out:Aaron Roberts
Ashanti Pryce
64' Substitute
In:John Pykett
Out:Charlie Dowd
John Pykett
65' 1:1 Goal
Michael McGrath
Assistant: Richard Gregory
Michael McGrath
Substitute 84'
In:James Hall
Out:Nathan Olukanmi

Much more benign conditions this week but at least the match kicked off in sunshine. Neither side made much progress into each other's half for the first quarter hour with the only chances coming from Jason Cowley who hit the side netting for Sporting and Adam Watkins for City whose cross cum shot was easily gathered by Jono Brown. However on the 15th minute Will Shorrock floated over a delightful cross that Cowley unluckily headed against the crossbar.

By now, the home side's tactics had become apparent with a solid back four backed up by a steady line of five in mid-field leaving Josh Oyinsan as the lone striker and a reliance on quick breaks up-field. Oyinsan though nearly gave his side the lead on 23 minutes when (and unusually) he beat Danny Morris for pace and curled a shot from just outside the box that Brown had to palm out for a corner.

Eight minutes later and again City had the woodwork to thank, this time Charlie Dowd hit the post from a narrow angle.

After half-time, Cambridge seemed to loosen their tight defensive pattern and looked as if they now wanted the three points as they put pressured Sporting more in their own territory and that paid off for them in the 54th minute. Mike McGrath attempted to head clear a long ball only to loft it skywards. As he attempted to recover, Watkins picked up, made a quick forward run before firing past Brown to give his side the lead.

That though was only to last 10 minutes before Sporting evened things up from a Josh Quaynor free-kick that Richard Gregory glanced on to Mike McGrath who headed into the top right-hand corner from short range.

A few minutes later it was Sporting thanking the woodwork when Nathan Olukanmi hit the right-hand post after lobbing Brown.
The last fifteen minutes were played a somewhat faster pace with both sides looking for the winner but panic tended to set in with City blasting several attempts over the bar and Sporting getting close but never quite getting the killer touch.

At the end there were more cheers from the home fans who were clearly pleased to gain a point. After the match, assistant manager Andy Mason said "I thought we were worth a win but with Cambridge 'parking the bus 'it was always going to be difficult".

Cambridge: Jamie Head, Ben Robinson, Seb Simpson, Ross Paterson (Capt.), Keano Robinson, Joe Robinson, Nathan Olukanmi (James Hall 84 mins), Adam Watkins, Josh Oyinsan, Ryan Sharman (Isaac Maynard 46 mins, Adam Capel 60 mins), Micky Davis).
Substitutes not used: David Theobald, Matthew Baxter.
Goal: Adam Watkins (54 mins)
Cards: none

Sporting: Jono Brown, Aaron Roberts (Ashanti Pryce 64 mins), Jack Wilson, Nathan Hayward, Mike McGrath, Danny Morris Charlie Dowd (John Pykett 64 mins), Josh Quaynor, Jason Cowley, Richard Gregory (Capt.), Will Shorrock.
Substitutes not used: Tom Taylor, Dan O'Sullivan, Tom Massey.
Goal: Mike McGrath (65 mins).
Cards: None

Referee: Mr A Humphries (Daventry)
Assistants: Mr L Scott (Northampton), Mr D Jarrett (Northampton)

Sporting MoM: Mike McGrath

Crowd: 270
Weather: Mild, sunny.

Report: Phil Baker


Cambridge City
Bromsgrove Sporting
Off Target 5
On Target 6
On Target 6
Off Target 1
3 Corners 5
7 Fouls 7
0 Offsides 3
11 Shots 7
6 Shots on Goal 6
1 Goals 1