22 Aug 2017-7:45 pm
Half Time: 1-1
Bromsgrove Sporting
3 : 1
Stourport Swifts
Full Time
Ryan McIlravey (Redditch)
Bromsgrove Sporting
Stourport Swifts
Goal 1:0 14'
Danico Johnson
Assistant: Sam Wills
41' 1:1 Goal
Aaron Lloyd
Richard Gregory
Goal 2:1 54'
Richard Gregory
Assistant: Liam Spink
61' Yellow Card
Sam Beasley
Robbie Bunn
Substitute 66'
In:Robbie Bunn
Out:Sam Wills
Joe Ward
Substitute 66'
In:Joe Ward
Out:Liam Spink
70' Substitute
In:Drew Canavan
Out:Alex Perry
70' Substitute
In:Ashley Parsons-Smith
Out:Matthew Fulloway
John Pykett
Substitute 74'
In:John Pykett
Out:Jordan Jones
83' Substitute
In:Daniel Sweeney
Out:Aaron Lloyd
Daniel Sweeney
Richard Gregory
Goal 3:1 90'
Richard Gregory
Assistant: John Pykett

GOALKEEPER Reece Francis heaped praise on Bromsgrove Sporting for quickly putting to bed their FA Cup woes and recording their 22nd consecutive league win since the turn of 2017.

After being edged out 4-3 in the preliminary round by Coleshill Town on Saturday, the Rouslers continued their good start to life in Step Five with victory over county rivals Stourport at the Victoria Ground last night (Tuesday).

Danico Johnson gave Sporting a 14th-minute lead before Aaron Lloyd levelled just before half-time.

A second half brace from Richard Gregory then secured the points for Paul Smith’s men who sit sixth in the table after two games.
“It was a massive win for us especially after letting four in at the weekend,” Francis said.

“We let a sloppy goal in against Stourport but it was a brilliant performance from the lads to get the three points.

“All credit to Stourport because they gave it a real good go but I am just over the moon with the victory.

“It’s been a good start to the league campaign and hopefully the boys will keep it going and pushing on.”

Sporting started brightly and their early pressure paid off when an interception from Max Loveridge allowed Sam Wills to play in Johnson whose left-footed shot crept in off the far post.
Two stunning saves from Francis then denied Nick MacPherson and Matt Fulloway from bringing the visitors level before Gregory missed two open goals at the other end.

Those chances came back to hurt the Rouslers four minutes from the end of the first half when Lloyd slotted home from inside the area after a Swifts counter-attack.

But Sporting regained the lead nine minutes after the interval when Spink’s cross from the right was diverted into the far corner by Gregory for a well-deserved goal.

The visitors continued to pose a threat on the counter but they should have been 3-1 down in the 70th minute but somehow Johnson could only fire over from underneath the crossbar.

With nerves creeping in among the Sporting ranks with just a one-goal cushion, the points were secured in the 90th minute when John Pykett’s clever reverse pass was latched onto by Gregory who rounded Swifts keeper Dominic Richards and slotted into an empty net.

Gregory missed out on a hat-trick in the third minute of stoppage time when he could only volley wide from close range after collecting another Pykett pass.

Report courtsey of Craig Gibbons of the Bromsgrove Standard


Bromsgrove Sporting
Stourport Swifts
1 Yellow Cards 1
3 Goals 1
Bromsgrove Sporting
Stourport Swifts