This article looks at the latest results and news from all the Sporting teams…
The First Team lost 1-0 at home to Royston in the league on Saturday, with the game’s only goal being a rather fortuitous one. They next play against local rivals Redditch United, away, this coming Saturday (3:00 KO).
Sporting Ladies looked to continue their impressive unbeaten start to the league against Wyre Forest on their first league outing of 2024.
Sporting started very brightly with a goal disallowed for a close offside in the 2nd minute. But their bright start was rewarded in the 5th minute when Sophie Taylor played in Ellie Nash to score. This was quickly followed in the 6th minute when Kate Bonser got on the end of a Sophy Paton through-ball to make it 2-0.
Wyre Forest dug in and worked hard to stop the dominant Sporting start but after 23 minutes, Charlotte Wallis found Vicky Grady, whose first shot was saved, but she followed in to make it three. Shortly after, Sophy Paton was unlucky when her well-struck effort was smartly saved, but Sophie Taylor followed up with an excellent finish at the near post on 27 minutes.
After the 30 minute mark, Wyre Forest were tiring and found it difficult to keep up with the intensity of Sporting’s football and possession. The Ladies capitalised on this with three goals in four mins from Vicky Grady, Ellie Nash and a smart finish from Charlotte Wallis.
Sporting finished the half with another flurry of goals. On 41 minutes, Kate Bonser got her 2nd goal of the day when her cross found the far corner. A minute later, Sophy Paton got her second assist of the day with a chipped ball over the top, which Sophie Taylor rolled into the bottom corner. On the stroke of half-time, Ellie Nash completed her hat-trick with a well-timed volley from a Kate Bonser corner.
Half time score: Wyre Forest 0 – 10 Bromsgrove Sporting.
The 2nd half started as the first, with Sporting beginning brightly. Laura Shanley sent through Sophie Taylor to complete her hat-trick on 50 mins. Four minutes later, Sophie Taylor turned provider once again, squaring the ball to Natalie Sabin, who tapped the ball in at the far post.
With a tiring defense dropping deeper, and a 2nd half broken with injury stoppages, Sporting found fewer opportunities but kept on pushing forward. In the 85th minute, captain Amy Kendall put her name on the scoresheet after Laura Shanley squared the ball across goal to make it 13-0. Amy Kendall then rounded off the scoring, slotting the ball into the bottom corner.
Full time: Wyre Forest 0 – 14 Bromsgrove Sporting
Ellie Nash x3
Sophie Taylor x3
Kate Bonser x2
Vicky Grader x2
Amy Kendall x2
Opposition Player of the Match: Amy Kendall
The Ladies are next in action this Sunday, in the County Cup Quarter Final, away to Malvern Town Ladies (2:00 KO. HDanywhere Community Stadium, Langland Ave, Malvern WR14 2EQ)
For information from the Ladies’ team, be sure to tweet their Twitter/X account – @LadiesSporting.
The Vets’ first game of 2024 is at the Victoria Ground, on Sunday 21st January. This is a league match against Springville (10:30 KO).
- Droitwich Tigers vs U11 Reds. Great performance! Goals: Dylan Turner (x3), Elijah Buck, Preston Chandra, Mylo Mitchell, Luke Fountain, Charlie Ling, Harry Harper. MOTM: Alex Beiu. Parents Player: Charlie Ling.
- U8s vs Cookley Sports. Scored three good goals by playing good passing football. MOTM: Alex Hirst. Goals: Joseph McCarthy Zach Adkins (x2).
- U10 Greens vs Worcester Raiders. Goals: Olly Whitehouse & Cian Shannon. MOTM: Cian Shannon.
- SM U12s 1 – 2 Stourport Swifts. 2-0 down at halftime. Second half performance was a lot better, scoring after 10 minutes of the second half, but just couldn’t get the second goal. Goal: Alfie Andrews. MOTM: Jack Currier.
- U10 Whites vs Lillington Colts U10s. Couldn’t repeat last week’s result but they go again! MOTM: Jack Hirst.
- BS AH vs AFC Chelmsley. A tough battle against a very physical team today. Deserved winners. Goals: Oliver Onofrio Baker (x3), Jasper Brunn and an OG. POTM: Teddy Glaze.
- U10 AW vs BSC U10 Blue. Strong performance. Missed lots of chances but they didn’t drop the motivation, continuously fighting until it finally went in. Jake is progressing every match and finally scored. It made the difference as well as having a full team and being able to do the right substitution at the right time. Goal: Jake Wilkinson. Assist: Freddie Carne. MOTM: Alex Beiu. POTM Elliot Taylor.
- U10s Red vs Solihull Moors SB. A really good game of football end to end with two very good teams. Goal: Dylan Barnfield. MOTM: Lennan Jones.
- U12s Red. Beat 9-0 by a Boldmere side on Saturday. However, Sunday saw them beat another Boldmere side, who are top of the league, 3-1. A great response from the team. Goalscorers: Blake, Kaiden and an own goal. MOTM: Blake.
- U12s SM. Lost against Stourport Swifts but played an identical team in Sportsco in the CWFYL. Captain Jack Currier scored one and MOTM Cade Goucher scored another. Great win that puts the U12s in pole position. Sportsco 1-2 Sporting.
- U18s 1-4 Sutton Coldfield Town. Same opponents next week.
- U7s vs Hollywood United. Goals: Jamie Williamson (x7) Hughie Garbett (x4) and Kyrie Hartley. MOTM: Hughie Garbett.
Bromsgrove Sporting Girls U9 team travelled to close neighbours Redditch Borough. With a few players out, the girls defended against a strong Borough team and battled throughout. There were some really positive things and they are progressing each week. They are away vs Droitwich this Saturday morning.
The U18 TL entertained a very strong top of the table Rugby Borough and were well beaten. The girls battled but Rugby were fitter, faster and moved the ball beautifully around and were three up at half time. The second half followed the same format as the first – despite changes to personnel and all their efforts, Rugby scored at will, eventually winning 12-0 . They look forward to entertaining This Girl Kicks this week – there’s never an easy game in the Premier League.
The U18 MW did not have a game – they entertain Lye Town on Saturday morning.
The Bromsgrove Sporting Girls are starting to look at next year’s teams and would like to invite players to consider playing next season. If interested, contact Alan Williams on 07786 983 951.