22 Aug 2015-3:00 pm
Half Time: 0-0
Stafford Town
0 : 2
Bromsgrove Sporting
Full Time
Daniel Parkes (Stoke-On-Trent)
Stafford Town
Bromsgrove Sporting
Substitute 58'
In:Richard Greaves
Out:Ben Henderson
58' Substitute
In:Ollie Gibson
Out:Sean Brain
Ollie Gibson
Yellow Card 68'
Chris Morris
69' 0:1 Goal
Simon Fitter
Simon Fitter
Substitute 76'
In:Kirk Lowe
Out:George Hatton
76' Substitute
In:Jon Myrie
Out:Joe Adams
Jon Myrie
Yellow Card 78'
Grant Winwood
79' 0:2 Goal
Simon Fitter
Simon Fitter
82' Substitute
In:Aaron Williams
Out:James McKeon
Aaron Williams

A fine brace from central defender Simon Fitter against another stubborn and packed defence saw Sporting home with their first league away win of the season.

Manager Paul Smith was eight first team players missing so the benefit of having a large and capable squad proved to be quite helpful. Sporting had most of the possession and play in the first half and created numerous chances but Stafford playing five on the back line always had a spare man in defence and managed to hold off everything the Bromsgrove side could throw at them, though to be fair had more shots been on target Stafford might have found themselves a goal or two down at half-time.

Sean Brain probably had the best chance of the first period on the 15th minute when Joe Adams put a long pass over the top of the Stafford midfield and defence that Brain did well to collect but his shot went just wide of the left-hand post.

After their half-time break Sporting turned the screw a bit more and started to put more pressure on the home defence. With 47 minutes on the clock the ever-reliable Reece Hewitt chipped over a useful cross to Luke Dugmore who struck a half-volley goalwards only to see Anthony Roman block it on the line. Then three minutes later Brain found himself in a one-to one with Dale Reaney but the Stafford 'keeper managed to get a foot to the shot and steered it round the post.

Stafford meanwhile were attempting to gain some advantage from quick breaks but few came to anything as the Sporting back line mopped up any attempts on their goal and with frustration showing when Tom Vaughan received a caution for holding on to Dugmore round the waist.

On 54 minutes Dugmore made a vain appeal for a penalty but the foul was just outside the box. However Joe Adams' resulting free kick was well tipped over by Reaney.

Two minutes later Stafford had their first real chance of the match when Sporting 'keeper Brendon Bunn was forced to make a low save from a 15-yard low drive from Stafford captain Spencer Gunnell.

Then with 69 minutes on the clock, Stafford defender Chris Morris made a last ditch tackle on Josh McKenzie; cue for calls from the Bromsgrove fans for a red card as the last man but only a yellow was shown by referee Mr Parker. However Sporting had the last word as Simon Fitter took the free-kick from 25 yards and hit it sweetly towards the top right hand corner of the Stafford goal that all keeper Reaney could do was help it into his own net to give Sporting the lead.

Ten minutes later and Fitter found himself in virtually the same position with free kick but this time it went straight in well wide of Reaney's outstretched right arm to give Sporting a two-goal advantage.

And that really was it as Sporting took no risks to preserve their lead and both sets of players looked to be quite tired having to play on a warm and quite humid afternoon.

In summing up, Sporting assistant manager Martin Sockett said, "We played well and deserved the win. We must have had around 90% of the possession but the Stafford defence were difficult to break down. However Simon Fitter scored two high quality goals to give us the win".

So another 3 hard-earned points for Sporting who now face two tough tests in a week. On Tuesday second placed Littleton are the visitors to the Victoria Ground then next Saturday, Hinckley are the opponents in the next round of the FA Cup.

Stafford (Red shirts, shorts, socks): Dale Reaney, James Creswell, Anthony Roman, Chris Morris, Ben Henderson (Richard Greaves 58 mins), Grant Winwood, George Hatton (Kirk Lowe 76 mins), Spencer Gunnell (Capt.), Jack Edwards, Tom Green, Tom Vaughan.
Subs not used: Luke Brown, Nick Addison, Adam Cunningham
Yellows: Chris Morris (68 mins), Grant Winwood (78 mins).

Sporting (Green/white shirts, shorts, socks): Brendon Bunn, Aaron Roberts, Craig Jones, Simon Fitter (Capt.), Scott Smith, Jamie McKeon (Aaron Williams 82 mins), Luke Dugmore, Reece Hewitt, Josh McKenzie, Sean Brain (Ollie Gibson 58 mins), Joe Adams (Jon Myrie 76 mins).
Subs not used: Dean Fisher, Luke Yelland.
Scorer: Simon Fitter (69, 79 mins).
Cards: None

Referee: Mr D Parkes (Stoke-on-Trent)
Assistants: Mr D Clenton (Brownhills), Mr A Rowley (Great Wyrley)

Crowd: 95
Weather: Warm, sunny.

Sporting Man of the Match: Luke Dugmore

Match Report: Phil Baker

Stafford Town
Bromsgrove Sporting
2 Yellow Cards 0
0 Goals 2
Stafford Town
Bromsgrove Sporting