24 Jul 2018-7:45 pm
Half Time: 0-1
1 : 1
Bromsgrove Sporting
Full Time
Andy Genders (Redditch)

Pre-Season Friendly – Tuesday 24th July 2018 7:45 p.m. kick-off

Alvechurch 1 (0) Bromsgrove Sporting 1 (0) at Lye Meadow

Local rivals Sporting and Alvechurch locked horns in a friendly match before the season begins in an entertaining encounter with neither side able to deliver a killer punch.

Alvechurch shaded the first half and had enough chances to bury their opponents by the interval but good defending and a need for a little more sharpness up front kept the scoresheet blank.

Callum Debar should have done better than to put the ball wide for the home side with the first good chance on the seventh minute whilst Sporting’s response two minutes later was for midfielder Harry Harris to put one way over the bar. Nathan Waite looked for a spectacular opener with a bicycle kick but that also went over the woodwork.

Alvechurch maintained the pressure and Jon Brown in the Sporting goal was forced to make two good stops from Waite and Debar, whilst later in the half Dave Bellis also saw a decent effort well-saved by Brown.

After half-time, Sporting tried to take the game more to their opponents but slightly against the run of play, Alvechurch took the lead on the 50th minute when the Sporting defence failed to clear the rebound from Jamie Willets’ shot who then managed to bury the ball from his second attempt.

Four minutes later though Sporting equalised after Craig Jones’ up field pass was picked up by Will Shorrock, he accelerated into the Alvechurch half putting a great cross into the box that Jamie Clarke blasted home leaving Paul Evans no chance.

Both sides had further efforts that went wide or were well-saved with Sporting having the better of the play though Babucar Sauane and Willets will both be disappointed not to have given their side the lead again.

Aaron Birch had to go off injured for the last 20 minutes leaving the home side a man short and Sporting took advantage with Troy Herbert having a good effort and Omar Haughton coming close with eight minutes to play. With seconds remaining Shorrock put a long-range drive over the bar whilst Reece Francis had to dive low to save from Mamoke Akauna.

After the match Alvechurch manager Ian Long thought his team had done enough to win in the first half but failed to take their chances whist Sporting assistant manager Andy Mason thought it was a fair result and that Sporting had the better of the play in the second half.

Alvechurch squad: Paul Evans, Nathan Guyot, Babucar Sauane, Josh Ezewele, Andy Parsons, Luke Paskin, Aaron Birch, Mitch Botfield, Dave Bellis, Cameron Walker, Callum Debar, Nathan Waite, Jamie Willets, Mamoke Akauna, Ben Tilbury, Charlie Price, Luke Yates, Kieran Cook, Taylor Morrison.

Goal: Jamie Willets (50 mins)

Sporting: Jon Brown Reece Francis 45 mins), Tom Rankin, Josh Quaynor, Marcel Simpson, Craig Jones, Harry Harris (Omar Haughton 45 mins), Jack Cresswell (Tom Massey 66 mins), Troy Herbert (Frankie Dowd 72 mins), Jamie Clarke (Owain Taylor 72 mins), Danny Campbell, Will Shorrock.

Goal: Jamie Clarke (54 mins)

Referee: Mr A Genders, Assistants: Mr J Price, Mr R Price.

Crowd: 692 Weather: warm, white cloud.

Reporter: Phil Baker


Bromsgrove Sporting
1 Goals 1