Welwyn Gdn City v Broms. Sporting

Welwyn Gdn. City 0 - 3 Broms. Sporting
16 Mar 2019 - 15:00Herns Way, Welwyn Garden City AL7 1TA

The Evo-Stik League South Division One Central – Saturday 16th March 2019 3:00 p.m. kick-off

Welwyn Garden City 0 (0) Bromsgrove Sporting 3 (2) at The B. P. Mitchell Stadium

Conditions were far from ideal down in Hertfordshire with a strong gusty wind blowing and a heavy pitch after the previous days’ deluges. However both teams contrived to play entertaining football and despite some useful play by the home side, Sporting held their own and came away with a comfortable win.

Charlie Dowd out on the right had the first decent effort for the Rouslers on the 11th minute but blasted his shot wide. Meanwhile loanee from Colchester United, Eion McKeown was proving to be a handful for the away defence but tight marking and solid concentration by Kyle Lincoln nullified his threat.

Richard Gregory, returning from injury and playing up front for Sporting put a wild shot over the bar on the 17th minute but he made no mistake three minutes later when Jason Cowley passed on Dowd’s cross to Gregory who made a side-footed volley into the back of Lewis Todd’s net.

Welwyn looked as if they were going to get the equaliser on the 35th minute but Danny Carr’s screamer went just wide of Jono Brown’s right hand post.

They will probably regret missing that chance as just a minute later, Sporting increased their lead when home captain David Keenleyside slipped as he tried to intercept Nathan Hayward’s pass to Kieren Westwood; who with plenty of space and time fired a low shot that Todd parried with his legs but only back to the lively winger who this time buried his shot into the middle of the goal.

Four minutes after the interval the windy conditions nearly gave Sporting another goal when Dowd’s corner kick had to be cleared off the line by Jack Humphrey but with 59 minutes gone, Sporting pretty much put the match beyond Welwyn when substitute Jake Heath got his team’s third with his first touch of the ball as he found the narrow gap though a packed penalty area after Cowley’s free-kick had been insufficiently cleared.

Elliott Bailey had the best effort for The Citizens on the 75th minute but his low free-kick was well-saved by Brown. Shortly after the frustration of the afternoon got the better of home defender Jon Sexton, who already had a yellow card for dissent and he received another after clattering Dowd, too heavily according to referee Mr Harrison, so off he went.

Both teams had a few more attempts at adding to the score sheet but none were successful.

Manager Brendan Kelly said after that he was happy with both result and performance especially given the challenging conditions. Next stop a mere matter of a home clash against Corby Town on Saturday for a proverbial six-pointer.

Welwyn: Lewis Todd, Danny Carr, Jon Sexton, Dylan Ebengo (Brendan Ocran 62 mins), Jay Rolfe, Jack Humphrey, Charlie Pattison (Romelle Alomenu 62 mins), David Keenleyside (Capt.), Eion McKeown, Elliott Bailey, Matthew Campbell-Mhlope (Ivan Agyaakwah 71 mins).

Substitutes not used: Eusebio da Silva, Isaac Ebelebe.

Yellows: Jon Sexton (68, 79 mins – red)

Sporting: Jono Brown, Liam Spink, Jack Wilson, Nathan Hayward (Jake Heath 57 mins), Tom Taylor, Kyle Lincoln, Charlie Dowd, Josh Quaynor, Jason Cowley, Richard Gregory (Capt, Cameron Peters 71 mins), Kieren Westwood (John Pykett 71 mins).

Substitutes not used: Aaron Roberts, Dan O’Sullivan

Goals: Richard Gregory (20 mins), Kieran Westwood (36 mins), Jake Heath (59 mins).

Cards: None.

Referee: Mr D Harrison (Wickford)

Assistants: Mr R Clausson (Rayleigh), Mr E Eruero (London).

Sporting MoM: Josh Quaynor

Crowd: 328

Weather: Cool, windy.

Report: Phil Baker