Tamworth v Bromsgrove Sporting

Tamworth 1 - 3 Bromsgrove Sporting
13 Aug 2019 - 19:45The Lamb Ground, Kettlebrook Road, Tamworth, B77 1AA. League.

Bromsgrove Sporting notched up their first win of the season on Tuesday evening, courtesy of a 3-1 away win versus Tamworth.

First half goals from Richard Gregory and Shaquille McDonald and a 94th minute header from substitute Kyle Perry guided Sporting to all three points, after Rhys Hoenes had given Tamworth an early lead from the penalty spot.

It wasn’t the best of the starts for the Rouslers, as Hoenes scored with a third minute spotkick placed straight down the middle of the goal after being hauled down in the area by Liam Spink.

It could have gotten even worse soon after, as Hoenes caused trouble once again, with a run of his setting up Ahmed Obeng, who fired a golden opportunity from inside the box comfortably over.

However, as the half progressed and Sporting grew into the match more, it would be the Rouslers who would truly dominate proceedings; a 15th minute Robbie Thompson-Brown free kick found the head of McDonald, but was well tipped over by Tamworth keeper Jasbir Singh.

The equaliser would come 22 minutes in, as Josh Quaynor battled to win the ball, finding Charlie Dowd, who whipped in a sumptuous ball to an unmarked Gregory, who headed home from close range with authority.

Joe Hull and Nathan Hayward had speculative effort fly well wide, before the Lambs’ Obeng put a great cross into the box that Tyrell Waite headed over with the goal at his mercy.

The home side were made to pay for this miss, as two minutes later, as Thompson-Brown and Hayward collaborated to win the ball in the middle of the park, passing to Gregory, who played McDonald through, allowing him to run onto the ball and slot home into the bottom corner coolly past Singh.

Sporting continued where they left off in the second half, as McDonald capped a driving run through the middle with a shot that was fired over from 20 yards.

Tamworth enjoyed a few chances midway through the 45, as a Ryan Beswick free kick from a promising position was saved smartly by Tony Breeden before James Fry has a cross-shot unexpectedly clatter the crossbar. Soon after, substitute Kai Williams hit the side netting from inside the box.

However, this would be as good as it got for the home side, who were struggling to cope with the Rouslers’ tenacity and intensity.

A Quaynor free kick was headed narrowly wide by Perry with fifteen minutes left, which was quickly followed by another Sporting substitute, John Pykett, rifling a fierce effort towards goal that would have gone into the top corner were it not for a fine save from Singh.

On 88 minutes, a woeful lunge by Christopher Cox on another of Bren Kelly’s mid-game changes, Will Shorrock, resulted in him being given his marching orders by referee Gareth Davis.

The final two moments of the game both involved the influential Quaynor; a 92nd minute cross of his was met with a looping header by McDonald but Singh was more than equal to it before the third goal came two minutes later, as a pinpoint Quaynor corner was met with the head of Perry, who guided it into the bottom corner, which was met with jubilant scenes from players and fans alike, as Sporting chalked up their first win of the 2019/20 season.