Bromsgrove Sporting vs Malvern Town

Bromsgrove Sporting 5 - 0 Malvern Town
17 Dec 2019 - 19:45The Victoria Ground, Birmingham Rd, Bromsgrove B61 0DR. Worcestershire Senior Cup - Quarter Final

Bromsgrove Sporting ran out 5-0 winners over Malvern Town in the quarter final of the Worcestershire Senior Cup on Tuesday evening.

The game’s goals, which were all scored in the second half, came courtesy of a Mikey Taylor brace, plus Richard Gregory, Greg Mills and substitute Will Shorrock, ensuring that Bren Kelly’s men would make the final four, where they will face Evesham United.

In a largely uneventful first half, whereby players from both sides had to get accustomed to the extremely thick fog, it was Malvern who had the bulk of the early chances, with Harry Clark having three decent chances in a six minute period, the best being a one-on-one with Max Beardmore, that he hit straight at the Sporting stopper.

Sporting’s best opportunities came later in the half, with Mills having a shot saved low to keeper Charlie Weaver’s right and Gregory seeing a cross narrowly evade everybody at the far post, which was followed up by Mikey Taylor heading over.

It took just three second half minutes for the Rouslers to bag the opener; Charlie Dowd did well to win the ball off a defender, allowing him to whip the ball off the byline and into the six yard box – it went past Weaver and missed Mikey Taylor, but Gregory took a touch and slotted into an empty net.

Soon after, the visitors were reduced to 10 men, as James Febery was given a second yellow card for bundling down Mikey Taylor when through on goal, albeit from a fair way out.

Malvern’s evening worsened just after the hour mark, as they were forced to replace the injured Weaver in the sticks with Chris Pinder.

The second goal came in the 64th minute; full back Jack Wilson moved forward and set up Mills, who crossed into Gregory at the far post. His header hit the bar, but Mikey Taylor was on hand to smash the ball into the net.

Two minutes later, the team numbers were evened up, as Liam Spink received his second yellow card for a challenge in the middle of the park.

Bromsgrove’s third came via a counter attack; substitute Nathan Chowns-Higgs had a shot saved smartly by the feet of Beardmore, followed by Kyonn Evans having a volley blocked by Wilson. Sporting then broke away, with Mikey Taylor beating Pinder for pace before slotting into an empty net in splendid isolation.

The 83rd minute saw goal number four; Mills teed up Gregory in the box, who had an effort brilliantly saved by Pinder. However, he was unable to palm away Shorrock’s effort from 25 yards, hitting his hands as it went in.

The final goal was scored just a minute later – Shorrock set up Mills, who took a couple of touches before drilling the ball hard into the bottom corner.