Bromsgrove Sporting News

The latest from Sporting

MATCH NEWS: Crushing blow at Shepshed

BROMSGROVE Sporting tasted their second Midland League Premier Division defeat of the campaign after they were comprehensively beaten 3-0 by a useful Shepshed Dynamo outfit.

Jake Betts gave the hosts a 16th-minute lead but Sporting were unlucky not to draw level 20 minutes later as Reece Hewitt’s overhead kick struck the inside of the post only for the ball to roll along the wrong side of the line.

Ten minutes from time Alex Troke double Dynamo’s lead from the spot after Michael Reeve was brought down in the area by Craig Jones. Then an excellent first-time finish from Liam Hurst made it 3-0 six minutes later as the hosts closed out a deserved victory.

And with Coleshill Town losing 3-2 to Sporting Khalsa, the Rouslers missed the chance to sit atop the table after 13 games. Manager Paul Smith made three changes to the team which beat Heanor Town 1-0 last Saturday, with Jones returning to the defence, Sam Wills replacing Connor Deards and Joe Ward in for the suspended Jason Cowley.

And Sporting started brightly as Ward saw an effort from the edge of the area go wide before Hewitt watched an effort tipped round the post by Denham Hinds moments later. A defensive error almost allowed Reeve to grab the opening goal of the game after ten minutes but his effort was hacked off the line by Josh Quaynor as Dynamo cranked up the pressure.

And six minutes later they broke the deadlock. Hurst’s free-kick from the right was met by Betts but after his initial shot was blocked, and Sporting failed to clear from the resulting ping-pong in the area, the Dynamo skipper took the second bite of the cherry to smash home from close range.

It should have been 2-0 on the half-hour mark but Joe Pheasant could only head straight at Brendon Bunn from point-blank range after connecting with Ben Harris’ corner. However, Sporting came within a whisker of levelling the game six minutes later but Hewitt’s athleticism was not rewarded as his overhead kick hit the inside of the post, much to the relief of Dynamo who went into the break 1-0 to the good.

After the interval, a block on the line from Pheasant denied Danico Johnson from bringing the Rouslers level before Niall Prenderville saw a back-post volley well saved by Bunn up the other end. Hinds then had to be at his best to deny Ward from levelling with 30 minutes remaining, using his legs to deny Sporting’s No.9 who had earlier curled a shot wide from the edge of the area.

Those missed chances came back to haunt Sporting with ten minutes to go when Dynamo were awarded a penalty following a late challenge by Jones on Reeve who had broke into the box from second-half substitute Troke’s lofted throughball.

Troke took the spot kick and despite Bunn getting a strong hand to the shot, he could not prevent it from creeping into the bottom right-hand corner. And with four minutes to go the rout was complete when the onrushing Bunn saw a clearance only go as far as Hurst whose instant shot floated into the net to compound Sporting’s misery.

Connor Deards almost bagged a consolation two minutes from time but his back-post volley from John Pykett’s whipped in delivery was tipped round the post by Hinds.

Report courtesy of Craig Gibbons (Bromsgrove Standard)

Leave a Reply