Bromsgrove Sporting News

The latest from Sporting

MATCH NEWS: Battling win at the Butts Arena

A SUPERB defensive display from Bromsgrove Sporting ensured they came away with all three points at old foes Coventry United.

Robbie Bunn’s 47th-minute strike proved to be enough as the Rouslers stood firm to survive the United onslaught and pick up their fifth Midland League Premier Division victory.

Playing each for the first time since March 2016, a day when Sporting ran out 4-2 winners in the year which United secured promotion to the Premier Division, it was the hosts who started the strongest at the Butts Park Arena.

Former Liverpool Academy product Dave Moli almost scored on his United debut after just three minutes but his fizzing angled shot flew beyond the rooted Brendan Bunn and the far post.

A free-kick on the edge of the area from Josh O’Grady moments later sailed over the bar before Moli missed another chance with barely ten minutes on the clock. Bradley Jones’ cross from the right was nodded down perfectly by O’Grady into the path of Moli but he could only fire a tame shot straight at Bunn from just a couple of yards out.

United’s impressive start had Sporting stunned and it took them until the 17th minute to get a shot on goal as the returning Jason Cowley curled an effort over the bar from distance.

Although struggling to keep possession, the Rouslers could have snatched the lead five minutes before the break when skipper Craig Jones came within a few millimeters of connecting with Josh Quaynor’s inch-perfect free-kick at the back post.

Having had nothing to do all half, Richard Morris had to be alert to save Liam Spink’s curling effort from the edge of the area as the sides went into the break all square. Just two minutes after the interval Sporting grabbed the all-important goal.

A long ball uwas held up beautifully by Wade Malley who laid the ball into the path of Bunn to drill home a left-footed shot to score for a third consecutive game.

A shell-shocked United seemed to go off the boil and they were unlucky not to be 2-0 down in the 67th minute when Max Loveridge capitalised on some slack defending only to drill his shot into the side-netting.

From that point on United stepped it up a gear and forced Sporting deeper and deeper into their penalty area but resolute defending kept the hosts at bay.

Cowley saw two efforts go over the bar in a matter of moments with five minutes to play as Sporting looked to play on the counter. But United kept on coming and in the fourth minute of stoppage time they almost nicked a share of the spoils.

However, Robert Prinzel’s header from Morris’ launched free-kick went straight into the hands of Bunn, which was met by the full-time whistle as Sporting walked away with a precious three points.

That was the last of the action as Sporting walked away with a precious three points in front of a 392-strong crowd.

Report courtesy of Craig Gibbons – Bromsgrove Standard

Leave a Reply