Long Eaton United vs Bromsgrove Sporting

Long Eaton United 2 - 2 Broms. Sporting
07 Apr 2018 - 15:00Grange Park, Station Road, Long Eaton NG10 2EF

Report courtesy of Craig Gibbons, Bromsgrove Standard

BROMSGROVE Sporting came from two goals down to salvage a point at Long Eaton United to maintain their seven-point lead at the top of the Midland League Premier Division table.

Brendan Kelly’s men got off to a disastrous start, falling behind in tenth minute when Sporting’s defence failed to clear a long throw which allowed Zak Goodson to smash home the opening goal into the far corner.

Things went from bad to worse for the visitors when they fell 2-0 down seven minutes later.

The lively Raheem Reid’s low driven cross could only be cleared as far as United skipper Josh Thornton who created a yard of space before drilling home beyond a rooted Reece Francis from just inside the area.

The league leaders were almost 3-0 down midway through the half but Francis quickly got down to his left-hand side to block Andy Todd’s effort.

Todd then probably should have grabbed the third after 30 minutes after nipping his way into the box but he could only blaze an effort into the side-netting.

A lacklustre Sporting almost pulled one back immediately up the other end when Jason Cowley set John Pykett in on goal but the midfielder’s low drive was saved by the feet of Scott Low in the United goal.

Somehow the Rouslers made it into the break just 2-0 down and they came out after the interval at a much higher intensity which was rewarded in the 52nd minute.

Francis’ long boot upfield was flicked on by Richard Gregory into the path of Cowley who showed great composure to lob Low from outside the area.

Sporting continued to press but Long Eaton were looking very dangerous on the break with the pace of Goodson and Reid proving difficult to handle.

Will Mellors-Blair also proved lively having had a shot blocked on the edge of the area before watching a goal-bound effort deflect behind moments later.

With time running out Sporting grabbed the equaliser with just four minutes remaining when Gregory neatly controlled a long ball before cutting inside and rifling in at the near post with his left foot.

But United would not lie down and Reid almost got in on goal in the sixth minute of stoppage time only to be brought down on the edge of the area by Jack Wilson who received a straight red card for his troubles.

The subsequent free-kick deflected behind as Sporting survived a late scare to walk away with a precious point after Coleshill Town and Worcester City also drew.