Coventry United vs Bromsgrove Sporting

Coventry United 3 - 3 Broms. Sporting
06 Dec 2017 - 19:45Butts Road, Coventry, CV1 3GE.

The Buildbase FA Vase – Third Round Replay – Wednesday 6th December 2017, 7:45 p.m. kick-off

Coventry United 3 (0) Bromsgrove Sporting 3 (3) after extra time

Bromsgrove Sporting won 4-3 on penalties

A heart-stopping and dramatic evening at the Butts Park Arena as Sporting surrender a three goal lead in stoppage time but win the penalty shoot-out writes Phil Baker.

Sporting took the game to their opponents from the kick-off. Results were quick as the away side forced a corner on the 4th minutes. Taken by Robbie Bunn who dropped a superb ball into the United goal area where it was eventually bundled over by Guy Clark

Both sides exchanged blows for the next 10 minutes with Kyle Barnett heading just over from a free-kick on the 16th minute but it was Sporting who doubled their lead two minutes later again from a corner this time from Josh Quaynor whose neatly chipped ball into the box found Richard Gregory who nodded home from close range.

Sporting could have had a third on 32 minutes But Jason Cowley’s effort was scrambled off the line.

However Cowley did get on to the score sheet on the 39th minute when his free-kick taken from a couple of yards outside the penalty area floated over the wall and Richard Morris into the top left-hand corner of the net.

It was no surprise that the home side came out fired up for the second half but rather than rushing for goal played some controlled football and importantly marked Sporting closely.

Craig Jones cleared a Craig Reid shot of the line on the 53rd minute and six minutes later Jack Jeys fired a good shot just over the bar but the excitement really started with 10 minute to go when United won a free-kick out on the right. Lewis Rankin sent it into the box and as both sides watched, the ball evaded everybody and went in to the back of the net.

A minute later, Danny Morris got a knock as he tried to tackle Jeys on the right and as he lay on the ground the winger swung a cross into the box that Aaron Wint blasted from short range producing a brilliant reflex save from Francis.

United continued to pile on the pressure and with seconds ticking away, they won a free-kick just outside the area. Rankin chipped a useful ball into the box but Morris’s attempt to clear for a corner only managed to loop over his own keeper to give the home side their second.

Three minutes into added time, Barnett went down in the box but referee Mr Humphries waved no penalty. Then two minutes later United won another corner and following a scramble Gift Mussa got the last touch to give his side the equaliser.

So 30 minutes of extra time and Coventry were still on top. Jones again had to clear off his own line and somehow substitute Aaron Opoku hit the post when it was easier to score during the first period. In the second Francis had to make three good saves including on the last minute that he kept out with one hand from Robert Prinzel’s powerful header.

So on to a penalty shoot-out, not Sporting’s strength. The first three rounds were all converted then Jeys and Jones both had efforts saved. Rankin blazed wide of the woodwork whilst John Pykett scuffed his shot and hit the post. Francis then saved from Opoku leaving Max Loveridge the hero as he scored the winner driving low into the right-and corner.

Supporters from both sides said this was one of the best matches they have ever seen and a pity both sides met early in the competition as the match was worthy of a final. However Sporting rode their luck and now play Wisbech Town in the fourth round on Saturday 6th January.

Coventry United: Richard Morris, Brad Jones, Bobby Moseley (Robert Prinzel 76 mins), Gift Mussa, Chris Cox (Cap.), Kyle Barnett, Lewis Rankin, Thomas Glascoe (Adam Wint 66 mins), Mitch Piggon (Aaron Opoku 54 mins), Craig Reid, Jack Jeys.

Substitute not used: Dominik Alleyne

Goals: Lewis Rankin (79 mins), Own Goal (Danny Morris 90 mins), Gift Mussa (90+5 mins)

Yellows: Chris Cox (33 mins), Kyle Barnett (38 mins), Brad Jones (61 mins)

Bromsgrove Sporting: Reece Francis, Guy Clark, Josh Quaynor, Max Loveridge Craig Jones (Capt), Danny Morris, Wade Malley (Connor Deards 76 mins), Robbie Bunn, Jason Cowley, Richard Gregory (Ricardo Richards 88 mins), Reece Hewitt (John Pykett 101 mins).

Substitutes not used: Jack Wilson, Sean Brain.

Goal: Guy Clark (4 mins), Richard Gregory (19 mins), Jason Cowley (39 mins)

Yellows: Craig Jones (72 mins), Reece Francis (89 mins)

Referee: Mr A Humphries (Northampton)

Assistants: Mr S Kavanagh (Rugby), Mr R Cutts (Birdingley, Warks)).

Crowd: ~400

Weather: Cool, windy

Sporting Man of the Match: Reece Francis.


1 – 0     Craig Reid, bottom LH corner, Francis dived right

1 – 1     Josh Quaynor, top LH corner

2 – 1     Aaron Wint, Top LH corner

2 – 2     Jason Cowley, Bottom LH corner

3 – 2     Brad Jones, Bottom RH corner, Francis got a hand but ball rolled over the line

3 – 3     Connor Deards, Bottom LH corner

3 – 3     Jack Jeys, saved Francis diving right

3 – 3     Craig Jones, Saved Morris, diving left

3 – 3     Lewis Rankin, shot wide of LH

3 – 3     John Pykett, scuffed shot hit RH post and rolled wide

3 – 3     Aaron Opoku, saved Francis diving right

3 – 4     Max Loveridge, bottom RH corner